Part of the vibrant arts community at UW–Madison, the Department of Theatre and Drama is home to talented students learning and training alongside faculty with diverse experiences in the performing arts. Our department produces several performances per year in two theatre spaces fully equipped with scenic, prop, and costume shops, plus state-of-the-art lighting and sound labs. Alumni of our academic programs are successful and noted figures in theatre, film, television, gaming, production, development, and design, among other areas of the entertainment industry
The Department of Theatre and Drama uses theatre to educate artists and audiences.
- We approach theatre as a laboratory to explore our humanity and shape our world, providing a safe environment that fosters student inquiry and risk-taking in pursuit of growth.
- We commit to the principles of collaboration by embracing and honoring inclusivity, mutual respect, and open communication.
- We develop forward-thinking and resourceful theatre artists with strong practical foundations in both traditional training techniques and new technologies.
- We embrace an interdisciplinary and intentional approach to theatre training and production that is ever mindful of the diverse experiences of our students and audiences.
- We prioritize our students’ learning needs in production.
- We highlight and nurture faculty, student, and staff research while integrating artists into the intellectual life of the University.
Our 5-Year Mission (Target 2027):
To provide students and communities with opportunities to engage in cutting-edge and interdisciplinary training, production, and research experiences.