Hello Actors! If you are interested in pursuing the Theatre and Drama ACTING OPTION, now is the time to sign-up for an audition time.
When: Thursday, 30th March 2023, 6-7:30 pm. Sign up for a 10-minute slot.
Where: 4010 Vilas (Please wait in the hall until called)
What: Prepare 2 contrasting monologues (4 minutes total max)
How: Go to this link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409084CAFAE23A7FC1-acting
Catalog Description: Theatre and drama majors with a primary interest in acting may audition for the Acting option. This highly structured program of study offers students a deeper practical knowledge and experience of the skills required to pursue professional work as an actor and/or advanced studies in theater.
Admission is by audition only; auditions are announced at the midpoint of each semester. Students must have taken Theatre 150 (Acting I), Theatre 367 (Script Analysis), and be enrolled in or have successfully completed Theatre 250 (Fundamentals of Acting) and Theatre 140 (Voice I) before auditioning for the option. Students who qualify for the Acting Option are expected to audition for University Theatre productions and play as cast. This named option will be formally documented on the student’s official transcript.
Why an Acting Option?
- Named Option formally documented on student’s official transcript
- Depth of study in performance
- Practice and discipline
- Gain a deeper practical knowledge and experience of the skills required to pursue professional work as an actor and/or advanced studies in theater
How to become an Acting Option?
- Requisites: 150 Acting, 367 Script Analysis, 140 Voice,* and 250 Fund. of Acting* (*have taken or currently enrolled)
- Audition for Acting Faculty
- 2 contrasting monologues (4 minutes max.)
What to expect:
- Arrive 10 minutes before your audition time and wait in the hall until called into the space.
- Each audition and interview will be around 10 minutes.
- We will ask a few basic questions about your training to date and about your future plans.
- You may be asked to re-perform one or both of your audition pieces. If so, be prepared to incorporate any notes/direction that you receive during the feedback.
- We will notify those who are selected for the option within a week.
- If you are selected to participate in the acting option, you will need to set up a time with Jim Stauffer to go over the requirements of the option and to fill out a formal declaration form for processing.
Acting Option Requirements: Requirements can be found at this link
What are we looking for in Acting Option applicants?
- Professionalism and an excellent work ethic in both performance and in the classroom.
- A solid audition. In auditioning, applicants should demonstrate skills acquired in their classes and productions. This includes vocal and movement abilities, as well as showing a range of acting choices grounded in truthfulness and a clear understanding of the text.
- The ability to process artistic critique and incorporate notes and ideas into their work.
- A demonstrated commitment to the craft of acting, and potential for professional success in the field.